During our recent community assessment, Hollister residents stated that they felt judged and that they had been negatively impacted by the stereotyping of them and others. Many felt isolated and not connected to the community.
Together we can make a difference. Take the Pledge!
I, ________________________, pledge to stand up against judgement, bias and stereotypes in my community. I promise to step into the world putting my best foot forward by treating others the way I want to be treated. By taking this step, I will create a happier, healthier and safer environment for myself, my family, my friends and my community.
Steps to Build a United Community:
- Say Hi to your neighbor every day
- Buy a stranger a coffee
- Help a stranger carry their groceries
- Compliment a new person every day
- Call a different family member/friend every day and tell them you love them
- When you see someone not doing well, offer a hug or ear to listen
- What are other things you can do?
How YOU can get involved:
- Invite the Hollister Innovators to talk at your work team, sports teams, social groups, faith-based meetings, and any other gatherings to promote this amazing new venture. Get connected by calling Community Solutions at 831-637-1094.
- Be an ally of change by supporting this exciting new project through providing space, materials, food, and/or any other contributions you can.
- Find out more about the problem. Click here to read our summary of the San Benito County Community Assessment of Sexual Violence or click here to view the full report. You can also read about Primary Prevention 101.
Call 877-363-7238 for support 24 hours a day!
If you or someone you know needs support, call Community Solutions 24/7 at 877-363-7238 to speak with a confidential advocate. We offer free support services to survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking, including counseling, accompaniment, assistance with restraining orders, and much more.
About the Hollister Innovators:
The Hollister Innovators is a team of community members dedicated to creating a safer Hollister. The Innovators will use the Close to Home approach to design community-led initiatives and solutions to prevent domestic and sexual violence from happening in our community. Everyone plays a role. Youth and adults; people of all genders; family, friends, and neighbors; professionals and politicians all combine their voice and efforts to create change together.
“ At Community Solutions I met some wonderful women who helped me with my fears and helped me understand that I did not deserve to be abused by anyone. ”Luz, age 50, Solutions to Violence
“ [Community Solutions] helped me with my problems and were there when I was having hard times. They have helped my family with a place to live and helped us pay some bills and buy some food when we needed it. ”Serena, age 15, Child & Youth Behavioral Health
“ I cannot describe very well but all I know is that each day is getting better. Your program helps. ”Jin, age 62, Adult Behavioral Health
“ Thanks to the program, I left the ugly house I was living in that had two small windows for the 8 of us, dirt floors, broken windows, no door, and the toilet always clogging. Now my children and I have a nice apartment where we have more space, privacy, and carpet where we can be barefoot. ”Teresa, age 38, Solutions to Violence Supportive Housing Program